January 08, 2006

 

Secret Pal 7 official q's

its here! it's really here!!

ok so perhaps that's undue excitement for what i'm about to post... but there's nothing i like better than the start of a new secret pal cycle. so without further ado, i present my OFFICIAL secret pal 7 questionaire... which shall be memorialized in a link on my sidebar. as soon as i remember how to. (any particularly blogger-savy folks want to help me make my blog look better? i could REALLY use the help.)
disclaimer: my answers do tend to vary between these quizzes... one may say a favorite scent is pine, while another says jasmine. it's all true, just... different things are first on my mind on different days. its mutually inclusive, not exclusive.)

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
they have their place... such as using caron's softer yarns for kids mittens and stuff. but in general... i'm totaly a yarn snob. what can i say, i'm a touch-oriented person, and generally acrylics just dont measure up to the touch test.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
spin - not yet. crochet - not often. usually only for edging or other things to accent knitting. although i've seen some really cool crochet toys coming out of japan... i need patterns for that stuff, cant get that around here :)

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
what, you think i'm organized? i have a random pencil case my brother brought me from japan that i TRY to keep my sock dpn's in, and some of my nicer straight needles are in a vase... but there's no real system yet.

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
i consider myself an adventurous intermediate. i've DONE just about everything, and i'm not affraid of any technique any more... i just havent mastered anything yet.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
indeed i do, my amazon wishlist can be found under the email address brokedown_tiger@yahoo.com. i know i have other wishlists, but i've forgotten where...

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
exotic florals (plumeria, freesia), citrus and fruits, and nature scents (pine, apple, cinnamon). i dont like things that are too strongly perfumy or have a soap-like scent. but i LOVE all things smelly :)

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
yes yes yes. if willy wonka had kids, i'd be putting them through college. gobstoppers and bottlecaps to be specific. my favorite chocolate is the lindt 70% cocoa bar. if you like dark chocolate, run out and try that now! i have a salty tooth right next to my sweet tooth too... pistachios and popcorn make me happy :)

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
i've always wanted to get into those ArtBooks i've caught glimpses of every now and then. i love working with paper... writing, collage, etc. i dabble in glass etching, 3-D junk art, and beading.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
indeed, i am mp3 ready. especially now that i have my cute little CreativeZen mp3 player! i'm always searching for new and interesting music, so surprise me! i listen to everything from fiona apple to local hardcore, from sigur ros to nine inch nails, from enya to pantera.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
for some reason, i'm very anti-navy blue. other than that... i just love COLOR. deep, rich, interesting color that looks like it has a story to tell. vibrant pinks and purples, rich greens and heathered browns... i'm a big fan of color in general. thats why i need to get into dying my own fiber...! i have so many ideas about color combinations i want to see... noro has come closest to my color ideals in yarn. my current love affair is with silk garden 87, but i'm also seeing some kochoran on the side.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
i live on my own, downstairs from my grandma. but as this is her second house, i'm here by myself most of the time (+ one boyfriend playing video games in the living room). i live around the corner from my parents, though. and while i have 2 cats myself, i frequently help them take care of their 3 cats and 1 dog.

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
yes, yes, yes, no. i'm dying to make myself some thrummed mittens one of these days.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
noro. noro noro noro. kochoran and silk garden to be specific. the texture and the color combined is exactly what i'd make for myself if i had the capabilities. i like to think that my favorite yarns are the ones i havent knit with yet, though. i'm dying to try things like cherry tree, brooks, all the yarns that you cant just go down to your lys and snatch up a handful of.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
i used to think it was 100% rough wools, but after making a few projects with them, i see they definatly have their time and place. still not my every day cup of tea though. oh, and keep those sparkly eyelashes and ladders away from me.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
socks, they were my last hurdle to really consider myself a Knitter with a big K. i'm really interested in the moebius and 'magical' knitting stuff, too.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
toys for children. i got a glimps of a knitted toy book at borders once, and now i'm constantly designing little trinkets and fuzzy toys in my head. i'd love to get more than a glimpse at some of those books though, anyone have any favorites? i've been dying to make a bobbi bear, too. its so CUTE!

17. What are you knitting right now?
alpaca socks for myself, a 'pirate' sweater for my boy, a viking hat for his dad, very tall socks for myself, my 4th clapotis, and a silk garden hat.

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
very much. socks in particular, especially after reading the Yarn Harlot's chapter on why socks are the best gift ever. if you havent read it yet, go get it now!

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
it was circular needles for a while, when everything i did was seamless, in the round, the easiest way possible. now that i'm learning the merrits of proper construction, i'm starting to invest in pretty, high quality straights and they've earned a place in my heart (and my knitting bag).

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
bamboo! and other hard woods. i got to use a pair of lantern moon straights once, heaven! i've never tried cassein needles though, it strikes me as kind of funny that you can knit with milk.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
no! and i've been dropping hints with my family for EVER but they're just not getting it. perhaps i'll just have to buy them myself and tell the boy to give them to me for my birthday or something, hah.

22. How did you learn to knit?
the ever-present internet. step by step pics on a website... which i later found had stolen the pics from the readers digest book. no link, because the site's now gone.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
as old as my knitting habbit is... my very first project, the reason i LEARNED to knit... that poor hogwarts scarf.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
i love tigers. LOVE them. all cats, actually. animated character would have to be cosmo and wanda from the fairly odd parents!

25. What is your favorite holiday?
beltane... i love the way life is celebrated and honored. thats when i truly feel like i'm getting a new start on the year, a new beginning.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
i'm working on adding more vintage accents to my apartment. my great aunt gave me some old hair setting tools still in the packaging that i'm framing and putting up in my bathroom. i'm also a huge fan of interesting and squishy stuffed animals and pillows. i also collect Lord Of The Rings artwork, statues, and jewelry.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
interweave knits. i dont like EVERY issue of VK so i save that one to peruse before i buy, but there's always something in IK for me. i havent been able to afford a Rowan subscription yet, but that's next on the list.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
i saw a book once... it was a black cover... with socks for clogs. what BEAUTIFUL stuff. i would also love to have more books on norwegian and latvian knitting, cat bordhi's books, and the world of knitted toys book. oh, and the bobbi bear!

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
i would like to learn a lot more about colorwork, and eventually tackle a norwegian sweater. i still havent done any moebius work, either. i desperatly need someone to teach me how to spin one-on-one, i just cant seem to grasp it from books and websites. i used to spin on a wheel when i was a kid with one of my friend's moms, but its been years.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
as of recently, that's a resounding yes! i have a very wide ankle, at about 10 1/2 inches. the ball of my foot and the toe to heel measurement are both an even 10, and i like nice snug socks. i've learned through trial and error that socks for me have to be either a low cuff (like a running sock) or knee high in order to be comfortable.

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
july 29th

if you've made it this far, thanks for reading :) i cant wait to get started spoiling my secret pal!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?